In the past 9 months I’ve been on the road with a traveling theatrical production that has taken me to 73 cities, 20 states and quite accurately a bazillion hotel rooms. While touring may be a grueling, quick-paced environment, it also has the power to instill in a traveler a sense of gratitude for little things, “normal people” may take for granted. Here is my year’s compilation of some very tiny and some very spectacular things that keep a touring performer touring…and sane.
1. Hotel rooms with kitchens
"Just call me Ina Garten"
2. Experiencing famous regional fast-food chains for the first time
"They put what on their fries? I’m down."
3. When really important people come to see your show
4. Swing seats on the bus
"I will use ALL the leg space!"
5. Hotel massage-bar soap
"I deserve this."
6. Hotel rooms with a view
7. Being a tourist
8. Hanging with the band
What’s up, Kevin!
9. Having a rental car for the week
"We are like normal people"
10. Skype sessions with loved ones
11. Family members seeing your show…then taking you out to dinner
12. When a fellow performer gets a new piece of clothing
13. Avant-garde gas station decor
14. New flavor additions to the coffee box
15. Staying long enough in a city to actually use the closet
16. Finding a couch to nap on during 2-show days
17. Hipster coffee shops
"So, tell me a little bit about your pour-over options."
18. Finding someone else on tour who is just as invested in your favorite TV show as you are
"DONT TELL ME WHAT HAPPENED ON LAST NIGHT’S EPISODE. I HAVENT CAUGHT UP YET!!!"
19. Golden Days
"Pardon me, where is the bar located?", says the entire company.
20. Seeing other shows
It was awesome, btw.
21. Adding new states to your list
22. When someone lets you stop and play with their dogs on the street
23. Press days
"Yeah, we’re pretty much celebrities"
24. Homemade baked goods
"Cupcakes in the green room…never mind, they’re gone."
25. Signing autographs for little kids
"I was just like you, pretty much yesterday!"
26. Weird gas station cuisine
"Heather, what are you eating?"
"Truck-stop dehydrated Lasagna."
"Oh. Is it any good?"
27. Playing “haunted” theaters
"A dark figure just passed by the gondolas!!"
"That was an electrician."
29. Seeing your friend’s name on a wall tag
"HEY! EVERYONE! LOOK! IT’S MY FRIEND!! LOOK!!!"
30. Playing beautiful venues
31. Seeing your show advertised on a new marquee
"Hey, that’s us!"
32. A travel buddy you can rest comfortably with
33. Playing a show in your hometown
This is, hands-down, the best.